Thursday 17 May 2012

Playing with the Turtles on Turtle Island

After our sunrise and some breakfast, we relaxed a little, tried to pack and then went out on a boating excursion. Apart from being under the water in the sea walker thing, I really hadnt been out in the sea much, so I was thankful for the boat ride. It took us out to Turtle Island, where they rescue turtle eggs, let them hatch and grow, and then release them into the wild. They release a lot more than they keep, but they do keep some, like these big ones. Our guide was quite adamant that we get into the water with the turtles, and Im so glad we did, because it was one of the most fun activities ever. The turtles would eat out of your hand, and even let us pick them up. Sarah and I struggled to pick up the 80kg one which was 80 years old, so we settled on picking up the younger, lighter ones. I think the smile on my face says it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment