Friday 4 April 2014

Beautiful Todaiji

Todaiji Temple in Nara Park tends to be one of the places we used to go when our parents were in town, or someone was visiting. David said we all needed to go in, one last time. So we paid, and took some photos outside. Going in was great too. I had
forgotten how big and impressive it was inside. In the temple, at the bottom of one of the pillars, is a cutout the same size as the Daibutsu, or Buddah's nostril. And while the Buddah in the temple is huge, his nostril isn't really that big! David, as always tried to get through the Daibutsu's nostril. He almost made it too, and had two attempts. I knew I could fit, having done it before, but had to wait a while until I was able to work up the nerve to try again. After waiting in a line full of little children, who would definitely make it,
it was my turn. I managed to wriggle my way through, getting a nice bruise on my knees as a result, but was rewarded with a year of good luck! After 20 years of living in Japan the first time, it was a great way to finish out my time I had in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment