Thursday 8 September 2011

Akama Jingu Shrine...the big red one!

Just a big further up the road, was the Akama Jingu shrine, the serious point of cultural interest in Shimonoseki! It was so lovely! I was quite glad there were other people there, but it was pretty deserted, and it seemed like you needed to pay money to get all the way to the top. I liked it best from far away I think, you got a much better impression of it on a grand scale that way! The colour was really vivid and it reminded me a bit of the forbidden city in China, after it had just been painted for the Olympics. It seemed quite a happy place, but I couldn't figure out why it was so empty! I suppose not many people visit the shrine during the day! I really should find a festival and go to one then! Then it would be full of people so I could watch proper shrine ettiquette!

No comments:

Post a Comment