Wednesday 25 April 2012

Abandoned buildings and vines

Okunoshima played quite a big part in the second world war. The Japanese used to test mustard gas here. It was considered far enough from the big cities, and yes, they used to test it on bunnies. It is quite a sad place, and has a museum documenting the horrors of mustard gas. But after the war, the bunnies were released, and the entire island was deserted. I`m sure its exceedingly creepy at night, but during the day its not too bad. They have old labs which are just locked and left like they were, or warehouses which were looted, windows smashed and the like. Its definitely creepy.So what is left is these abandoned buildings all over the island. I wasn`t really sure how to photograph them, much to my chargrin, but I did like how the vines had just overrun all the buildings, and doors and railings.I had seen pictures of friends who had actually gone inside the buildings and taken pretty cool photos. However, there was a railing, and I didn`t feel like breaking any rules. It would definitely be just my luck that the unstable building would collapse while I was in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment